- About LegalCORPS
- Nonprofit Organizations
- Small Businesses
- News and Events
Ways We Can Help
Mission for Minnesota Nonprofits
LegalCORPS matches qualified nonprofit organizations serving Minnesota communities with volunteer attorneys who will provide pro bono legal services. LegalCORPS’s primary mission is to assist organizations that serve the needs of persons of limited means. LegalCORPS may also, to the extent that its resources permit, assist nonprofit organizations that seek to secure or protect civil rights, civil liberties, or public rights, and other charitable, religious, community, governmental, or educational organizations in carrying out their missions.
- Full-Represention Assistance: LegalCORPS recruits volunteer lawyers to provide free legal assistance in business law matters such as:
- maintaining tax-exempt status
- lease review
- employment advice
- intellectual property (trademarks, patents, copyrights)
- debt issues
- general business advice.
For a description of eligibility requirements and for application forms, please see Nonprofit Legal Assistance.
- Nonprofit Legal Needs Assessment: Through this LegalCORPS program, Minnesota nonprofits can assess whether they need to take action to ensure that their organizations and operations are on sound legal footing. Volunteer attorneys, teamed with volunteer paralegals, use a LegalCORPS-developed “toolkit” that provides a checklist of legal topics to discuss and documents to review. There is NO CHARGE to participate in this program.
For more detail on the program, and directions on how to participate, please see Legal Needs Assessment Program.
- Brief Counseling for Nonprofits in Central Minnesota: LegalCORPS and the Initiative Foundation jointly offer monthly free legal counseling sessions (up to 45 minutes) on the fourth Tuesday of each month for nonprofit organizations in the Initiative Foundation’s 14-county service area in Central Minnesota. The counseling sessions are no-charge, confidential and one-to-one. For information about how to schedule a session, see Free Brief Counseling for Nonprofits in Central Minnesota.
PLEASE NOTE: LegalCORPS does not match organizations with pro bono attorneys for matters in litigation.