- About LegalCORPS
- Nonprofit Organizations
- Small Businesses
- News and Events
Support for Volunteers
LegalCORPS works to support and meet the needs of the volunteers who directly deliver the free services that LegalCORPS provides to low-income owners of small businesses, low-income entrepreneurs and small nonprofits in Minnesota. Support for volunteers includes:
- Professional Liability Insurance: LegalCORPS maintains an insurance policy through the National Legal Aid and Defender Association Insurance Program that provides primary professional liability coverage for volunteer attorneys when they provide pro bono legal assistance arranged by LegalCORPS.
- Continuing Legal Education and Training: Either by providing its own sessions, co-sponsoring seminars with other organizations, or providing free or reduced cost access to others’ programs, LegalCORPS works to help its volunteers prepare for high-quality service to their pro bono clients.
- Support During Pro Bono Service: When needed, LegalCORPS can serve as an intermediary to enhance communication and understanding between attorney and client. LegalCORPS also can recruit experienced business lawyers to confer with less-experienced volunteers as they assist pro bono clients through LegalCORPS.
- Assistance from Law Student Volunteers: Working with the Minnesota Justice Foundation, LegalCORPS can arrange for law students to assist volunteer attorneys in their full-representation pro bono work for LegalCORPS clients.
- Pro Bono Service Recordkeeping: The LegalCORPS database includes the hours of pro bono service to LegalCORPS clients that its individual volunteers report. It can provide those figures (both individual and aggregate) when volunteers need them.
NOTE: Lawyers licensed in Minnesota can claim one hour of standard Continuing Legal Education credit for every six hours of pro legal assistance they provide to clients referred by an approved legal services provider. In each three-year reporting period, Minnesota lawyers can claim up to six hours of CLE credit for pro bono work. LegalCORPS is an approved legal services provider in Minnesota.